Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Looking toward 2.6.2 (Read 11784 times)
Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Re: Looking toward 2.6.2
Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
The UTF-8 converter is 90% done - it integrates with the Converter utilities creating a multi part process - 1st, fix the old files. If convert to UTF-8 is checked, the the Conver utility saves the fixed files into the ConvLang folder (This saves the original files AND saves the fixed files in the event of a problem - however this requires a LOT of space.) 

2nd: Run the UTF-8 converter on the files in the ConvLang folder.

Windows characters may still cause some problems but I think I've caught most to the likely suspects - they get caught by Hex code and converted into html entities.

As part of the UTF-8 conversion, you can designate which boards have Cyrillic (CP1251) encoded posts. These boards will have their posts converted from CP1251 instead of ISO-8859-1. For those who don't know: YaBB's default encoding until 2.6.11 has been ISO-8859-1 (aka ANSI, aka CP1252, aka extended ASCII, aka Latin-1). YaBB accommodated non-Latin-1 characters by converting them to html characters. 

HOWEVER, Cyrillic, when users were using the Russian Language Pack, was encoded as CP1251. This is why, on YaBBForum, posts made by members using the Russian Language Pack show up as garbage when viewed by members NOT using the Russian Language Pack BUT posts made in Cyrillic by members NOT using the Russian Language Pack look okay.

The UTF-8 converter assumes that (like on YaBBForum) most Cyrillic users will have posts in a limited number of boards and the person running the converter will know which ones.

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2015 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
2.6.20 test open
We're testing the Mobile template.

What is left on the list to do - the transliteration protocols for File attachment renaming. We need this because, it seems, that some server OSes do not accept non-ascii file names. 

So we'll be looking at requiring language packs to have 'transliteration lists' in Main.lng a new file named 'att_chars.txt'.

This will look like: The contents will look like:
Code
Select All
@uploadtranlist = qw(А а Б б В в Г г Д д Е е Ё  ё  Ж  ж  З з И и Й й К к Л л М м Н н О о П п Р р С с Т т У у Ф ф Х х Ц ц Ч  ч  Ш  ш  Щ   щ   Ъ ъ Ы  ы  Ь  ь  Э  э  Ю ю Я я);
@tranlist =     qw(A a B b V v G g D d E e EE ee ZH zh Z z I i J j K k L l M m N n O o P p R r S s T t Y y U u X x C c CH ch SH sh SHH shh Y y YE ye JU ju ZE ze Yu yu YA ya); 

This is the Russian one I created. 

Also on the list - a UTF-8 language converter for older forums. This has been a real problem but I may have a better handle on it now. One of the problems has been that ISO-8859-1 also accepts several Windows characters that do not translate into UTF-8, meaning those characters get dropped during conversion. (Not good when you have members copying and pasting from Windows.)
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2015 at 3:26pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Testing here: The new Detailed Version Check screen for 2.6.2
The code will be in its own file (Detailedversion.pm) 
It checks for file changes, even in the Language Packs and templates, and (if the information has been added in the file) lists what mods have been added. http://yabbforumsoftware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1422904633/0#0

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2014 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
On the road to 2.6.2 - took care of some html validation issues and some javascript - there are now only two spots outside of the .js files that call for 'document.write' - SpamFruits and a spot in the MediaCenter.pm.

IP Logged

RonS2

I Love YaBB!

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2014 at 9:23pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Monni

Min izāmō

Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2014 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Yay... Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Looking toward 2.6.2
Aug 28th, 2014 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Aug 28th, 2014 at 3:01pm: Calling a halt to new additions/ non-bug changes as of midnight tonight UTC.

On September 1 or 2, depending on how many bugs get found between now and then, and when I get back from holiday, the current build will become 2.6.1. That will properly synch up the Trunk and the 2.6 branch in the SVN at that point. 

Once this is done the Trunk will only get bug fixes but new development will continue in the 2.6 branch as 2.6.2.

Plans for 2.6.2
  • Clean up Admin Center code and templating. Also rearrange items - some items just got 'stuck' in places that don't make a lot of sense. Some things might need to be combined and related items might need to go on the same page with tabs.
  • Convert to HTML5
  • Mobile support - this will probably mean mobile only templates and looking at a adding support for an app like Tapatalk - or what ever is most current and secure.
  • Getting more of YaBB to work under the Strict pragma. Some scripts already do, most still don't.
  • Investigate whether the fopen, fclose, and YaBB's file-locking routines have any added utility with newer versions of Perl and current server software. (There is a suspicion that those routines are/were part of the 0 length files issue YaBB has had.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint