Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Error log (Read 47291 times)
Bill Myers

Using YaBB since 2002

Re: Error log
Reply #39 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Monni wrote on Oct 5th, 2014 at 8:57pm:
But without people like me, some projects just die slowly because there is no-one to push people to the limits.

I definitely agree with that because that is indeed what happens. I also feel the same as Red in liking that a register error can instead be a redirect to a forum's registration page, or better yet to explain it, an informational non-error message that links to the registration form whenever an admin enables that option.

Ironically, a redirect would solve the problem of producing entries onto the error log, which helps to address the subject of this topic. Cool

On a related note outside of our forum, I've employed redirects for spam-bots or hot linkers that have generated many thousands of dollars over the years, i.e., they bring our site fresh traffic, which is often targeted to our niche audience, and that's when the ratio of hits per sale becomes very beneficial.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Red Barchetta

Reply #38 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Monni wrote on Oct 5th, 2014 at 7:58pm:
or that it redirects to register form, or to a informational non-error message that links to register form if enabled...

I like this one as well. 

Florida Classics and Muscle Car Automotive Forum Administrator
IP Logged

Monni

Min izāmō

Reply #37 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
I have customized stuff for last 31 years... so it's in my blood trying to make everything even better than it has already been made... Some people might call it perfectionism, some people might call it fanaticism... But without people like me, some projects just die slowly because there is no-one to push people to the limits.

IP Logged

Bill Myers

Using YaBB since 2002

Reply #36 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
@Monni, I like your thinking.

If I haven't already mentioned it, thank you very much for helping to develop YaBB to make an already great forum better. It's very much appreciated! Smiley

As a clarification, whether I personally like something or I don't, I nonetheless always favor giving as many options to admin as can be made so that they can operate their forums in any way they choose.

IP Logged

Monni

Min izāmō

Reply #35 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Bill Myers wrote on Oct 5th, 2014 at 7:20pm:
One nice benefit in having an error message pop up when a guest clicks the profile link of a member, as you can do this in the 2.4 version, is that the error message can mention that membership is free, and they can be encouraged to register, which is how I've edited that error message to appear.

Making it admin configurable like I said earlier could also mean that admin can choose that it doesn't unlink for guests, or that it redirects to register form, or to a informational non-error message that links to register form if enabled...

IP Logged

Bill Myers

Using YaBB since 2002

Reply #34 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Monni wrote on Oct 5th, 2014 at 7:11pm:
The removing of links to user profiles for guests was something I asked Dandello to do...

While I'm still able to post, my thinking about this has changed in that it makes sense to remove links to user profiles for guests, which is already what YaBB does, but this goes further by taking away the hover message with no need to produce an error message. It also looks a lot cleaner that way. Plus, intuitively, I'm thinking guests will likely believe they can view profiles if they register, which as we already know is what happens.

Edited:
One nice benefit in having an error message pop up when a guest clicks the profile link of a member, as you can do this in the 2.4 version, is that the error message can mention that membership is free, and they can be encouraged to register, which is how I've edited that error message to appear.

As for updating from a 2.4 forum to accept the changes that have been made regarding what a guest can, and cannot view, happily those changes become irrelevant with the ability to show the guest message whenever a guest is using the forum. Great idea!

IP Logged

Monni

Min izāmō

Reply #33 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
The removing of links to user profiles for guests was something I asked Dandello to do... So I guess I should voice my opinion on changing that feature... I'm not against adding hover title on the disabled profile links as long as it is done properly and implemented in a way that can be turned on or off by forum admin and actually changes the behavior on all profile links and not just some of them.

IP Logged

Bill Myers

Using YaBB since 2002

Reply #32 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Dandello wrote on Oct 5th, 2014 at 6:15pm:
How about a mouseover title on the non-link that says 'this information is only available to members' instead of a link that generates an error?

That was my thinking as well although I don't think it should be an either/or situation ... haven't fully thought this out yet ... you're pretty much always right about this stuff.

On a sad note for me personally that I hope won't end up being the case, and as I had previously stated publicly about what I thought would happen before I was invited to be a member of this forum, there's now a very distinct possibility that I'll be unable to participate in this forum after this post. And who knows how long any of my posts will remain, or be without censorship? This will not be my choice.

Meanwhile, I'll remain positive about what will happen, and hope for the best.  Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #31 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Red Barchetta wrote on Oct 5th, 2014 at 5:05pm:
Grayed out options? 

How about a mouseover title on the non-link that says 'this information is only available to members' instead of a link that generates an error?

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Bill Myers

Using YaBB since 2002

Reply #30 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Red Barchetta wrote on Oct 5th, 2014 at 5:05pm:
Grayed out options?

I think that's more in line with Dandello's thinking. That's to say, she doesn't want guests to be able to see the url of a member's profile. However it's done, I hope that guests will still be able to see how they're missing out on viewing a member's profile unless they register (although I suppose that's a given). Greying out that option seems like a pretty good idea to me if that can be done.

As for me personally, even though I may have a difference of opinion from time to time about how YaBB should operate, I can't recall a single time when I've been unhappy with what she's done, which is pretty amazing when you think about it. This forum of hers is a shining example of how to best showcase a YaBB forum.

Edited:
Despite my position on this, which seems to be changing as I think about it more, it should be noted that this forum doesn't allow guests to see the links to member profiles. That's starting to make more sense to me now.

IP Logged

Red Barchetta

Reply #29 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Bill Myers wrote on Oct 5th, 2014 at 4:07pm:

What I care about more is that guests can see they're missing out on being able to access a member's profile. As for the url of the profile being shown, a better alternative would be to show a simple message, perhaps as follows:

"Only members can access another member's profile."

I had a much longer reply detailing why I think it's fine that a guest can see the link to a member's profile, although I qualify that with my statement above. As for filling up my error log, it doesn't harm my forum, and I like having the ability to see what's causing spam-bot errors.

Grayed out options?

IP Logged

Bill Myers

Using YaBB since 2002

Reply #28 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Dandello wrote on Oct 5th, 2014 at 2:08pm:
Maybe you don't care that your error log is filled with thousands of clicks on links that will only produce errors, but wouldn't it be better to not have those links showing to non-members if they're ONLY GOING TO PRODUCE ERRORS?

What I care about more is that guests can see they're missing out on being able to access a member's profile. As for the url of the profile being shown, a better alternative would be to show a simple message, perhaps as follows:

"Only members can access another member's profile."

I had a much longer reply detailing why I think it's fine that a guest can see the link to a member's profile, although I qualify that with my statement above. As for filling up my error log, it doesn't harm my forum, and I like having the ability to see what's causing spam-bot errors.

IP Logged

Bill Myers

Using YaBB since 2002

Reply #27 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
I just got the following error message while trying to post my reply (showing my IP address is fine):

Quote:

ALERT Form Spoofing Detected coming from IP address: 172.12.229.122

I'll append or delete this subsequent reply as soon as I type my original reply up again. In essence, I agree wholeheartedly with Red's opinion about this while I still understand Dandello's point of view.

Edited:
Dandello wrote on Oct 5th, 2014 at 3:55pm:
Exactly. Don't show them what they can't use

Red may have meant it this way, but I read him to mean that guests should be able to see that they're missing out on something they can otherwise access when they are a member.

Edited:
Please excuse the double post I made, but it was because of the spoofing error. Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #26 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Red Barchetta wrote on Oct 5th, 2014 at 3:00pm:
If they never see the feature then there is no action on their part mentally or physically.

Exactly. Don't show them what they can't use. Cool

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Red Barchetta

Reply #25 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Forums should be user friendly, intuitive. Show them features they do not have access to and see them try to get access to it. If they never see the feature then there is no action on their part mentally or physically.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint